A friend of mine recently sent me an article from CNBC with a note that said, “Our country needs you!”
I read about and hear from so many people feeling unsatisfied, disengaged, unhappy, stressed, angry and worried when it comes to their job.
REALITY OF OUR WORK ENVIRONMENTS
I mean just look at the statistics from employees for the State of the Global Workplace 2022 report:
- 1 of out every 2 are stressed on a daily basis (50%)
- 3 out of every 5 emotionally detached at work (60%)
- 2 out of ever 5 are worried (41%)
- 1 out of every 5 are miserable (19%), sad (22%), and/or angry (18%)
HOW DOES SOMEONE GET TO THIS POINT?!
What they found to heavily influence all of these statistics had to do with managers.
This is something I have known for a while. I’ve lived it. I’ve witnessed it. But to constantly see statistics like these just solidifies that.
Perhaps that is why I am so passionate about the work I do.
I want to see those statistics go down. As managers, don’t you?!
You have the power to be a force of nature.
If you want to do that for the good, you might be wondering, “But HOW can I do that?”
Here are five questions to consider. I encourage you to take some time to reflect on each question for each employee on your team. Then consider how you can use that information to adjust how you engage with each employee in order to create a work environment that they love.
- How do they prefer to communicate and how do they prefer with which to be communicated?
- What motivates them? What encourages them to do their best? What lights them up?
- What are their strengths? Can you find a way to put each person in a role or provide them with tasks that match their strengths?
- What type of setting do they prefer when working? Group or individual? Can you provide them with tasks that fit their preference?
- What kind of support do they desire and need from you?
The time spent at work is where people spend a majority of their time other than when sleeping. Life’s too short for people to be unhappy in a place they spend a majority of their life.
Let’s work to live. Not live to work. And help others to do the same.
I hope that you will take some time to use these questions to be intentional with your time as a manager.
And if you want to dig even deeper into these questions? To figure out a plan of action? I can help you with that! Book a free discovery session at www.carolgrubbe.com/discover.
Carol Grubbe LLC: Communication Made Simple
Understanding how to communicate with your clients is as simple as knowing their communication style.